New moms already have so much on their plates. Beauty products are likely the last thing on their minds — and with good reason.
That being said, it's important to educate yourself about the health and safety of your favorite beauty products as a new mom. This is especially true when it comes to treating your body right and creating a safe environment for your baby.
As a new mom, you're already savvy about household safety. Things like cleaning products, laundry pods, and batteries are all tucked away securely and out of reach. You know your stuff!
Unfortunately, a lot of common beauty products that seem perfectly harmless can have big consequences if tiny hands get ahold of them. As scary as it is, beauty products send a child under the age of 5 to the emergency room every 2 hours.
Before you throw out all of your favorite skincare and cosmetics, take a deep breath. Keeping your baby safe from beauty products just takes a bit of know-how and prevention. In this guide, we'll share what to keep an eye out for when choosing beauty and skincare products and tips for keeping your kids safe.
Avoid These Ingredients Around Baby
Choosing a natural beauty routine is always a good idea, but there are a few ingredients you should look out for in particular when it comes to beauty product safety for new moms.
The most important thing to remember is that kids have highly sensitive skin. They might react differently to additives, fragrances, and irritants even if these ingredients are fine for your own skincare routine.
New moms should avoid these things when possible:
- Undisclosed fragrances - Some brands have undisclosed fragrances made of a number of chemicals and allergens. These could be too harsh for baby! Instead, look for products that use natural fragrances from sources you trust.
- Retinoids - Retinoids are too strong for babies and they're also not a good idea to use during pregnancy. Feel free to add them back into your personal routine once you're done breastfeeding.
- Parabens - Parabens have been linked to problems with the body's immune system, so it's better to avoid them as well.
- Clinical sunscreen - Under the age of 6 months, babies should generally avoid sunlight or use ultraviolet-blocking clothing. After 6 months, look for a mineral sunscreen that has limited chemical absorption. These are also great for the environment!
Tips for Keeping Your Baby Safe
Aside from avoiding these ingredients above, there are additional tips you can follow to help keep your baby safe from your beauty products. The most common reason for cosmetics-related injuries in the U.S. is actually related to kids swallowing personal care products. Along with baby-proofing your home, make sure your baby-proof your favorite products!
Here are some key tips for keeping your baby safe at home:
- Store products securely. Just because your nail polish is in a drawer doesn't mean it's safe. Toddlers, in particular, are very good at getting their hands on everything! Always lock cabinets and drawers and keep them secure.
- Leave products in their original containers. If your little one does get into something they shouldn't, it's good to have the exact ingredients handy so you can contact your pediatrician.
- Save the poison control hotline. Search online for your local poison control center and save the number to your phone. You'll probably never need it, but it's always better to be safe!
Best Safe Products for Mom and Baby
Not sure what to use that's safe for both bump and baby? We specialize in natural, never-processed products that are safe for everyone. Whether you're pregnant or you've got a toddler running around, you never have to worry.
Here are some of our favorites:
A New Mom Beauty Routine You Can Trust
The good news is that as long as you're careful with your beauty products and learn a few things about what's in them, you're doing a great job keeping your little one safe! Choosing natural, trusted skincare and beauty products will go a long way towards easing your worries.
Aside from the products above, our post-partum collection is natural, mom and baby safe, and packed full of the good stuff. We're proud to include all the best natural ingredients that are just as safe for babies as they are refreshing for moms. Create a new mom beauty routine you feel confident about!