When you're stuck at home, keeping kids entertained seems like a huge challenge. You don't want to fall into the cycle of endless screentime, but you also need some time for yourself!
Whether you're dealing with temporary school closures, summer vacation, or a pre-school aged toddler, you know how hard it is to avoid the dreaded "I"m bored" complaints. How do you keep kids entertained in educational, stimulating activities without losing your own mind in the process? This big list of things to keep your littles entertained at home is here to help.
Kids have a lot of mental energy that needs to be spent. Aside from doing activities that help you bond at every age, getting creative helps them connect with the world and also themselves. Try these creative ideas:
- Finger painting (or regular painting for older kids)
- Create a spaceship or house out of boxes
- Doodle or color
- Do a child-friendly science experiment
- Try a new hobby (like cross-stitch)
- Make paper planes and host a competition
- Write a story
- Put on an at-home play
- Make a craft from a YouTube video
- Make a treasure hunt
- Have a talent competition
Bring the Outdoors Inside
It's not always possible to go outside, especially if you're in an apartment. Here are some fun ways to keep kids entertained by bringing the outdoors inside!
- Have a living room picnic
- Go bowling with empty water bottles
- Plant a mini herb garden
- Make a wreath
- Create a flower arrangement
- Do a scavenger hunt around the house
- Go "fishing" in your living room
- Build a pillow fort
- Create an obstacle course
Even if your littles are too young for school, you can still get the ball rolling on their education. Stimulating, educational activities are closer than ever thanks to the internet. Try these ideas:
- Play an educational game online
- Make a DIY sensory project for younger infants and toddlers
- Bake or cook something together
- Try an online art class for kids
- Learn computer science skills online
- Play music at home
- Use a language-learning tool
- Create a list of books to read together
Health and Wellness Activities
Staying active and practicing healthy habits is a must when staying inside. If you're confined to the house, there are a number of great ways to get moving and keep the entire family focused on health.
- Practice basic yoga and stretching together
- Do a dance routine
- Meal prep healthy foods and snacks
- Create a family cookbook
- Practice self-care with natural skincare products
- Make a DIY new mom survival kit
- Listen to a kid-friendly podcast
Last but not least, include your kids in some household productivity. If they're old enough, it might be time to introduce chores. Even toddlers love to help, so why not get them in on your entire household's to-do list?
- Organize documents and photos
- Create your own natural disinfectant for your home
- Host a virtual family get-together
- Make a journal
- Read a new book
- Clean a room of the house
- Downsize and declutter old toys
Make the Most of This Time, Mama!
There's no one-size-fits-all when it comes to keeping kids entertained at home. While it's hard not to be able to go to the park, visit grandparents, or do any of the fun things you usually do together, this is only temporary.
There is still a long list of great ways to bond, stay connected as a family, and have a lot of fun in the process! When in doubt, check out this complete list of ideas above. For more inspiration, check out our updated Pinterest board with some ideas for keeping littles entertained.